Skip to main content

Haiku Rebellion Studio

Plan your writing time for Spring 2018 with The Poetry School's new list of courses. I'll be leading Haiku Rebellion Studio again, an online course that runs over three to four weeks next April with lots of opportunity to practice and receive feedback on your own haiku. It sold out last time so book early!

In the meantime, here's some background to my haiku practice and the course.


Small is the New Big

I started this blogpost with the question, How do you write a poem like a haiku? And then really wished I hadn’t. Because the next question that popped out of my brain was, How do you catch a moment on the page? No? Nothing? I’ll give you a clue: ¯¯How do you solve a problem like Maria? ¯¯ Apologies for the Sound of Music ear-worm.

Our minds are full of patterns. Habits, even. And while habits and repeated actions can be comforting, like reading the Sunday papers in bed or summer sunsets, the unconscious repetition of habits in our writing, a continued reliance on what’s familiar, what we know or what we think we know, can lead to stasis, inertia, a lack of growth for us as writers and a bit of a big yawn for readers.

My discovery of contemporary English language haiku happened at a time when I was reflecting on my own writing practice. It was after my first collection of poetry, Learning How to Fall, was published in 2005 and there’s nothing more effective at highlighting writing patterns than trapping poems between the cover of a book. Not just favourite (over-used?) words, or images (I loved water, a lot!) but approaches too. And I was very (overly?) fond of an extended metaphor.

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t embarrassed or disappointed by the collection. I was proud of it, and still am. They’re well-crafted, image driven poems with sharp attention to line-break. But the recognition of my reliance on extended metaphor made me question my practice. And haiku provided one of the answers.

There is no space for extrapolation within a haiku. And rich figurative language risks showing off rather than the illumination of an idea. Haiku force you towards economy, straightforwardness: the bare, but shining, bones of your language.

bare bones

Unfortunately, the (deceptive) simplicity of haiku combined with Twitter’s 140 (now 280) character limit gave rise to, and continues to breed, a whole new form on the net that people refer to has haiku but which I call no-ku, as so many of them are completely devoid of any poetry.

Segue into a paper I delivered a couple of years ago at the PALA (Poetics & Linguistics Association) Conference in Canterbury, entitled, Haiku: A Poetry of Absence or An Absence of Poetry? Because, how do you manage to make a little clutch of words read, and feel, like poetry?

Haiku Rebellion Studio will prove to you that this short form can contain all the poetry you need to make you feel and think. Both in the published work of current haiku practitioners and in the haiku you’ll write during the course. It will be challenging and thought provoking. And at times frustrating. But mostly enjoyable as we discuss English language haiku by poets in the UK, USA, Australia and New Zealand, and share our own work too.

And in the spirit of wonderful coincidence, as I come to the end of this blogpost, the postman has just delivered my copy of The WonderCode, Discover the Way of Haiku by Scott Mason (Girasole Press, Chappaqua, New York 2017) who opens Chapter 1 with a quote from Virginia Woolf:

Let us not take it for granted that life exists more fully in what is commonly thought big than in what is commonly thought small.

ant shadows


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Consolidation & Simplification

Since January 2020 all my work - haiku writing, poetry, prose, imaginative and non-fiction writing - has been posted on my website   Lynne Rees .  Please feel free to share anything from this archive, or my main site, but I'd be grateful if you could credit me as the writer and link back to the source.  Thank you 🙏 Lynne 

haibun ~ Playing Lego Minecraft with Morgan

There’s only a portal of black obsidian between the zombies and lava in The Dimension of The Nether and The Overworld where Steve is standing and I am counting his sheep, cows and pigs. But we really shouldn’t be hanging around when night is about to fall and mob attacks are imminent: Blazes and Creepers, Spiders from The Cave, all ready to descend on The Farm.  autism spectrum my nephew names all the monsters It’s time to lock up the animals, he says, time to close doors and windows, so I turn Steve around and notice he’s clutching a tiny baguette, something that fills me with unaccountable joy: that in this world of sharp edges and danger a boy has placed Bread in a man’s hands and they are carrying it home.  Presence 63,  March 2019

haiku commentary

deeper shadows where the walls meet... autumn rain – Mark E. Brager, The Heron's Nest, Volume XXI, Number 3 (2019) I imagine a corner, two walls meeting at right angles. I can see the depth of shadow there. If I reach out, I am sure the surface – rough brick or smooth masonry – will be cooler; perhaps because the autumn rain I now notice has started to fall. The places where people meet are more emotionally complex, stepping, as we may have to, from the comfort of the familiar to the challenge of the unfamiliar. Those “deeper shadows” may be rich with empathy and gratitude. Eshadows in corners Photograph by Steven Castledinequally, they may be fraught with conflict and umbrage. Brager’s haiku shifts me from inanimate objects to human experience. I sense loss through the image of “autumn rain,” or at least an understanding, or acceptance, of inevitable change that results in something being left behind. Perhaps change, even for the better, always leaves a