Skip to main content

haibun: death, life, life, life, life

death, life, life, life, life

crisp corpses of flies litter the floor of the conservatory, the low window-sills, the table-tennis table, little clichés of death – on their backs with their legs in the air – wings still fanned as if the end came so quickly there was no time or space to measure between flight and fall, the buoyancy of air 

and ground

clover and buttercups bunch across the lawn, new growth on the espaliered cherry trees reaches to a leaf’s length of their neighbours; one of us says, my hair grows so quickly 

in this heat

our daughter complains about her daughter – the scorn in her voice, her tossed head, the moods, the egocentric bounty of an eighteen year old who knows, of course, all there is to know, we know, 

we know

solanum dulcamara between the apple trees – bittersweet, fellenwort, snakeberry, violet bloom, bitter, blue or woody nightshade – easy to mistake for the deadly kind, atropa belladonna, hallucinator, the potion of witches, instrument of seduction, or destruction, the poisoned tips of arrows

red sunset
in the cat's mouth
the vole
fakes its death


Modern Haiku 46.1 Winter/Spring 2015

Comments

  1. I like this so much! Is the whole format called a haibun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haibun is traditionally prose and haiku (one or more). I'm pushing the boundaries a little, I suppose, by playing with format on the page, separating certain phrases that act as links between the sections. But, one of the aims of haibun is to create links and shifts between prose and poetry so creating extra ones feels appropriate. It's a kind of collage form, I guess. And I played with it more in 'forgiving the rain' too.

      Really pleased you like it - it feels more experimental than others I've written. xx

      Delete
    2. It becomes dreamlike, mysterious, but something one is able to go with, without feeling puzzled, but just carried. I really like it!

      Delete
  2. I like it much too. I enjoy boundary pushing when it is gentle, maybe subtle, but the 'push' is neverless firm, as you have done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

haiku

sunrise barred light on the walls of the deportation centre tinywords May 2019

Water-Ways: A Haiku Journey in Ghent

International Haiku Festival in Ghent, Belgium 13th to 19th September 2010 Zilvervisje glimt Langs ’t onzeekre watervlak En hapt er een ster August Vermeylen (1927) silver fry flicker along the shifting waters and snaffle a star Trans. David Cobb (2010) The festival haiku by Vermeylen is one of the oldest haiku written in Dutch but also a natural choice given that Ghent is a city of rivers and waterways that weave through and around its gothic buildings and cobbled streets. And the theme of water was more intimately introduced to the delegation of assembled haiku poets after dinner on Monday and Tuesday evenings with candle-lit ‘ginko’ in hand-made and man powered, long-oared, wooden boats. With blankets over our knees and notebooks in hand we were steered silently along the dark water, under low stone bridges, with the lights and stepped gable roofs of the city above us. someone singing from an open window the boat drifts Lynne Rees ...